Drum trolleys are the most effective way to ensure that industrial-sized drums and barrels can be manually moved around the workplace.
A drum trolley is designed to improve the speed and efficiency with which drums can be transported from one location to another. Importantly, it reduces the risk of injury to workers and improves health and safety levels in industrial environments.
If you need to know how to use a drum trolley safely, the experts at ITP Packaging explain everything you need to know.
What Is a Drum Trolley?
A drum trolley is a piece of industrial equipment used to transport drums and barrels. Designed to be used manually, they allow a single worker to safely and securely lift and transport large drums from one location to another. Although primarily intended for transport, they can also be used as mobile dispensing units.
There are various designs of drum trolleys available, but the most common types are designed for transporting 210-litre steel drums. The drum trolley is manufactured from a lightweight but durable material such as polyethylene that allows it to be manoeuvred manually by one person.
Drum trolleyshave wheels built into the bottom that allows them to be moved easily, plus a handle at the top so a worker can lift and push it. The drum is secured to the trolley using built-in straps that hold it in place.
What Are the Benefits of Using a Drum Trolley?
The primary benefit of using a drum trolley is to allow large industrial containers to be safely moved by hand from one place to another. But there are a number of other advantages that your business stands to realise.
Drum trolleys are designed for industrial workplaces. This means they are manufactured from non-reactive polyethylene that’s long lasting, robust and cost effective. They’re designed with a sump space to catch unwanted spills or leaks, they require minimal training to be used safely, and they reduce the risk of injury to manual workers in a potentially hazardous industrial setting.
The most important benefits of using a drum trolley are:
- Allows industrial-sized drums to be moved manually, quickly and efficiently
- Reduces the risk of injury to manual workers
- Improves health and safety in the workplace
- Manufactured from non-reactive polyethylene
- Cost-effective, long-lasting and durable design
- Have sump spaces to catch spills and leaks
- Minimal training and supervision required to operate
- A versatile piece of industrial equipment that can be reused repeatedly
The Process of Using a Drum Trolley
A drum trolley requires little experience or expertise to be handled safely. They’re intended to speed up the process of moving drums around in an industrial setting, and are relatively simple to use.
Here’s a step-by-step guide to using a drum trolley safely and effectively:
- Inspect the drum or barrel to ensure it’s properly sealed and undamaged.
- Use the handles to lift the drum trolley so it’s in an upright position, standing on its wheels.
- Line the drum trolley up with the drum and push the trolley towards it.
- Manoeuvre the trolley so that the drum slots into the space.
- Once the drum is in place, use the straps to securely fasten it to the trolley.
- Use the handles to pull the trolley towards you, so the drum is now at an angle and can be moved freely on its wheels.
- Push the drum trolley to the desired location, then slowly lower the trolley until it’s firmly planted on the floor.
- Undo the straps, then pull the drum trolley away from the drum.
The exact steps may vary depending on the type of drum trolley, so always consult the manufacturer before using a drum trolley for the first time.
Drum Handling Health & Safety Regulations
While a drum trolley is designed to be easy to use, it’s still important to follow health and safety regulations. The UK’s Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has laid out a series of regulatory guidelines that should be followed by employers in order to ensure they minimise the risk of accident or injury to their employees.
These guidelines include the following health and safety steps related to manual lifting:
- Carry out a formal risk assessment of the workplace and the manual handling duties required of employees.
- Provide employees with adequate personal protective equipment (PPE) that’s suitable to the working environment. This may include gloves, work boots and hard hats, as well as chemical gear or respiratory protection.
- Ensure employees are inducted to work in the given environment, and trained to carry out manual handling tasks safely.
- Establish a clear process for manually handling, transporting and storing industrial drums and their contents safely.
- Provide on-site first aid facilities and equipment in the event of an accident or injury.
- Establish a protocol that can be followed in the event of an accident or injury to employees.
- Establish a protocol that can be followed in the event of spills or leaks resulting from accidents.
- Ensure clean-up equipment is available in the workplace.
Contact ITP Packaging for More Information on Using a Drum Trolley
ITP Packaging stocks a comprehensive range of industrial products, including drum trolleys designed for the safe transport of 210-litre steel barrels.
If you need more information on the safe handling of a drum trolley or if you’d like to place an order, our experienced staff are ready to provide you with expert advice.
Contact ITP Packaging to find out more.