Camping is an opportunity to unplug from our lives and enjoy what nature has to offer.
We look forward to living simply, and giving up – temporarily, at least – some of the comforts of urban life.
Of course, we still need access to clean, drinkable water while away. Amateur and experienced campers alike would agree there’s no guarantee of this in the wilderness!
In this article, we’ll discuss how to choose the best water storage camping containers for your next trip, and how using a plastic jerry can provides secure and reliable storage for clean water.
How do you store water when camping?
One of the key aspects of an enjoyable camping trip is ensuring a reliable source of potable water.
However, water storage for camping can be a difficult feat for reasons such as storage or availability.
Choosing the right container to store your water is the best way to combat these factors.
Finding suitable camping water storage tanks requires looking out for certain qualities, like:
- Food grade certification – In the case of water storage for camping, using a food grade certified container guarantees it won’t contaminate the water stored in it. Not only will this ensure the water is safe for consumption, but it can also be used for any cleaning or medical emergencies that may arise.
- Environmental sustainability – For frequent campers or managers of campsites, respecting nature and keeping campgrounds clean is a priority. Reusable camping water storage containers are the best way to protect the environment and save money in the long term.
- Durability – If you, or your group, intend to move around or camp on a harsh terrain, using a storage container that won’t be easily punctured or damaged during the journey is imperative.
- Capacity – A crucial part of camping water storage is storing enough water for every camper to use for the entire trip. Large containers such as plastic drums or IBCs are capable of storing hundreds of litres of water for several months – ideal for commercial campsites. However, smaller parties will prefer something lighter and easier to carry, such as plastic jerry cans.
- Construction – A practical aspect to finding the best camping water storage tank is to consider the composition of the container. Ideally, you want a container made from materials that won’t pollute its contents. For example, metal containers can develop rust, which contaminates water, whereas plastic containers are harmless for short-term storage. Substances like water won’t degrade the container and cause damage. At the same time, it’s important to find containers that are stackable for easy storage.
Despite your best efforts, and the qualities of your camping water storage tank, contamination is always a possibility.
Therefore, it’s a good idea to pack a water filter or water purification tablets as a backup plan.
Can you store water in a jerry can?
Plastic jerry cans have several qualities that make them one of the best water storage camping containers to use on your next trip.
Although campsites may direct you to a water source, it never hurts to have your own personal supply.
When bought from ITP Packaging, plastic jerry cans are available in a range from five to 30 litres. This is perfect for storing several days’ worth of drinking water for individuals and small groups.
These containers are certified food grade quality, so they’re safe to store potable water.
However, as mentioned above, you can’t eliminate entirely the risk of contamination. Luckily, our containers include tamper-evident caps, offering you peace of mind over whether your water is still safe to drink. In addition, you can attach a tap to the container. You can further reduce the risk of contamination by keeping the container closed, while still being able to access your water.
The dimensions of the plastic jerry can make them easy containers to store if you intend to use multiple containers. They feature a top handle for easy transport during hikes.
Being made from high-density polyethylene or HDPE means that the containers are strong enough to withstand the elements of your next trip and are reusable for future trips.
Contact ITP Packaging
Avid campers should be able to enjoy nature with the peace of mind of a secure source of water.
Whether you’re a camper or manage a campsite, contact our team today.
We’re eager to help you find camping water storage tanks for individuals, small groups or commercial campsites.
At the same time, we can offer advice on containers for all of your camping needs.