CurTec Wide Neck Drums have been designed to provide the ultimate protection for your valuable products. The distinguishable red screw top closure provides protection against moisture. This easy opening lid is safe, fast and easy to operate. We offer the wide neck drum range in 3.6 litre to 68 litre. If you don’t see the drum you require on our site please contact us as we could still find a solution for you.
FREE DELIVERY on all mainland UK orders – full details.
Easy to remove lid – The screw top lid offers hassle free opening and closing.
Can be rolled – Rolling ribs allow you to tip over and roll the drum to mix the contents.
Moisture protection – The rubber gasket in the lid provides a barrier against moisture ingress. The moisture vapor transmission rate has been determined using an ASTM standard.
UN Certified Packaging – All of the wide neck drums are UN approaved for shipping hazardous materials. Even the smallest capacities have been certified for a relatively high gross mass.
Stand out brand – Packaging plays a major role in a user’s perception of product quality. The iconic design and high quality of CurTec packaging allow you to boost your branding.
1. Hot filling
The temperature of the content cannot exceed 70°C. The content must cool down to 30°C before the container can be closed.
The UN marking on a drum is only valid if the following closing instruction is applied:
Put the lid on the drum and turn it clockwise until it cannot by moved any further by hand.
Then turn the lid 30° clockwise. Only now the drum is leak tight and the UN marking is valid.
After closing you can make the drum tamper evident. For that purpose the lid and the container have sealing loops. CurTec advises you to use Unisto Compact seals:
Put the tail of the sealing strip into the sealing loops of the lid and drum. Push the tail trough the eye of the sealing strip and pull close.
The drum is now sealed.
Sealing the drum is not required to validate the UN marking.
Depending on the type, you can lift the drum by using the handgrips on the body or the lid.
Please consider the HSE regulations regarding weight and frequency restrictions for lifting.
The mounted handgrips have been designed for manual displacement only. They are not suitable for mechanical handling, such as lifting with a hoist.
The handgrip is suited for a brief, controlled charge of maximum 80 kg and a couple of minutes, during which the handgrip cannot be torqued.
4. Strength at negative temperatures
The drums are made of plastic which is resistant to a minimum temperature of -25°C. As of -5°C, impacting or putting extreme loads on the drums should be avoided.
The volume of drums filled with water-based contents can increase by 10%. The chances that drums will distort is real and it will reduce the stability of a drum stack on a pallet. Please maintain a maximum filling level of 90% and test the stability of a pallet stacking.
Pallets should have an almost closed surface. Wooden pallets should be fitted with planks that are no more than 5 cm/ 2 in apart. Plastic pallets should have a grid mesh top with openings that do not exceed 5 cm2/ 2 in2. Pallets should be fitted with a solid, flat intermediate layer prior to loading.
CurTec advises you to respect the following quantities and schemes per layer:
Item no. 7003 – 7004 – 7006
1200 x 800 mm – 24 pcs
1200 x 1000 mm / 48 x 40 in – 30 pcs
Item no. 7010 – 7011 – 7015 – 7020
1200 x 800 mm – 12 pcs
1200 x 1000 mm / 48 x 40 in – 15 pcs
Item no. 7026
1200 x 800 mm – 8 pcs
1200 x 1000 mm / 48 x 40 in – 10 pcs
Item no. 7042 – 7055 – 7068
1200 x 800 mm – 5 pcs
1200 x 1000 mm / 48 x 40 in – 6 pcs
When positioning the drums on a pallet, it is important to turn handgrips away from the corners to avoid damaging the pallet cover or stretch foil.
Filled drums are placed on a flat surface and stacked by placing the base of the drum in the counter shape of the lid.
CurTec recommends the use of a plastic heat shrink pallet cover, which needs to be shrunk around the stack including the pallet. In addition, the base of the pallet needs to be stretched with foil as well. The drums at the base of a stack will carry most of the load and to avoid a collapse they cannot be deformed by overstretching the foil or over-heating the cover.
In case a pallet is placed on top of another pallet, an intermediate layer is required to enable an equal spread of the pressure. This layer should also be solid and flat.
6. Static stacking load
When stacking drums for storage or transport, it is important to know how much weight the lowest drum in a stack can handle.
The stacking load depends strongly on: the weight of a drum, the number of drums to be stacked, the weight of interlayers and pallets, the ambient temperature, the duration of the load and the surface beneath the lowest drum.
Before stacking the drums, the temperature of the contents must be equal or lower than the ambient temperature.
When a stack is higher than 2.5 meters, the floor angle cannot exceed 0.5%.
CurTec strongly discommends stacking drums horizontally, lying on the side.
When changing transport mode, from storage to shipping or vice versa, the lowest drums of a stack must always be placed highest in a new stack.
For further information, please contact us.
7. Dynamic stacking load
When stacking drums for transport, it is important to know what the maximum load on the lowest drum in a stack can be.
For transport, this stacking load is called dynamic load and can be found by dividing the admissible static load by a so-called safety factor. We can provide further information about this, should you require it.
8. Air transport
During air transport, the pressure drops inside a plane’s cargo hold, which causes air inside a package wanting to escape. After landing, normal atmospheric pressure prevails again which, depending on the amount of escaped air*, can cause the wall of the package to cave in.
CurTec packaging has not been designed to compensate pressure differences. The construction is such that a correctly closed packaging allows air to escape relatively fast, but does not allow it to return easily.
Since CurTec has no influence on the use of its packaging by end users, they advise to test each transport mode.
It remains the responsibility of end users to verify whether a package and content comply with relevant transport regulations. CurTec refers to the regulations mentioned in the UN certificates.
Due to the weight of the stack on top, the rubber gasket in the lid can get compressed and needs time to recover. After unstacking, users are advised to leave the drums in an upright position for at least 15 minutes prior to opening. This allows the rubber gasket to return to its original shape and guarantee an optimal closure.
In case a drum is sealed, cut or tear the seal and remove it from the loops.
Turn the lid counter-clockwise to open.
The washing instructions below apply to the cleaning of all CurTec packaging products that are made of polyethylene and polypropylene:
Best results will be achieved with ultrasonic washing machines or machines equipped with spray nozzles.
Best qualified detergent is a low-foaming alkaline substance with a PH-value of 10 to 12 (solvents.)
The recommended temperature of the washing water lies between 40°C and 50°C.
The temperature of the rinsing water can only be up to 65°C.
Washing at maximum temperature can only take up to 35 seconds and rinsing at maximum temperature only up to 20 seconds. It prevents the plastic from warming up and shrinking.
Increased drying of products can be effected by means of applying cold air. If warm air will be used the drying can only last up to 30 seconds at a maximum temperature of 65°C.
The blowing and drying part of the installation needs to be adjusted to the product, so those difficult spots of the kegs can also be dried.
CurTec manufactures packaging material for a wide range of purposes. This declaration is restricted to the packaging material as it leaves the production facility. CurTec or ITP Packaging has neither control over final end use of the product nor over processing conditions. It is therefore the responsibility of the end user to check compliance with the relevant regulations and to validate material performance in the end application through proper end use testing.
At ITP Packaging we’ve tried to make the shipping process as simple as possible. For most mainland UK post codes standard delivery is FREE. For orders to Highlands, islands and Northern Ireland, the delivery charge will be clearly added to your order prior to checkout so that you are fully informed before you commit to payment.
Free delivery is 1-3 days but you can also upgrade to Next Day or AM delivery if preferred.
Currently our online system is only available for orders delivered to UK and Ireland. However, for any orders outside of the UK or Ireland, please contact 0333 987 4565 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will happily assist you further.
If you receive your delivery and for some reason you’re not entirely happy and wish to return it, please contact our Customer Support team on 0333 987 4564 within 48 hours and they issue you with a returns document. All we ask is that you return the goods to us within 30 days of issuing the returns document and we’ll either refund or issue a replacement.
For full pricing and details please visit our Delivery & Returns page.
If you require further information about this product, or any product in our range, please contact our Customer Support Team who’ll be able to assist you with your queries.
Technical information, product data sheets, MSDS etc are also all available by contacting the Customer Support Team.
Tel: 0333 987 4565